January, 2017. SVT and SR in Gothenburg vacated after a letter, containing a written threat and an unknown powder, sent to the reporter Janne Josefsson.
June, 2018. A reporter at SVT will be påhoppad by an unknown man when he is waiting at the train station in Västerås. The man slaps him lightly across the chest with his clenched fist.
in January, 2019. Seven masked people break into SVT's editorial office in Helsingborg, sweden in order to ”generate publicity for a message”.
the Events are examples of open high-profile security incidents in recent years affecting the SVT. However, according to the company, the problems are bigger than that: the company, broadcasting and journalists are today increasingly ”a target for a wide range of actors”.
the Costs of protection have increased and we have reports to the police as much as we can of this.
the SVT in the proposed budget for the period 2020-2025 on 1 February was presented to the government. According to the document forced the company currently managing approximately 35 security incidents per day.
– the Number of security incidents has increased very significantly in recent years. It can be anything from a serious threat on social media against one of our employees, there can be physical threats, cyber-attacks, or parts which are directed directly against our beredskapsroll, " says Hanna Stjärne, ceo of SVT.Hanna Stjärne, ceo of SVT. Photo: Eva Tedesjö
She says, without mentioning exact figures, the company's costs for security have increased greatly. 2018 was spending four times as high as in 2014, according to Hanna Stjärne.
– We can see that the threats against the journalists of the time also been directed at individual persons or presenters, and costs for personal protection has increased. We reports to the police as much as we can of it here, " says Hanna Stjärne.
up the company's role as part of the comprehensive defence approach, at a time when Sweden's security situation is considered to have deteriorated. SVT writes that the company is working with to put on their contingency planning ”in order to better respond to the new age of threats”.
In case of an attack on Sweden, there will be a desire to undermine the samhällsfunktionerna.
In a previous evidence to the parliamentary public servicekommittén have the SVT determined that the expenditure in the future will be between 30 and 70 m higher than today's level in order to manage the security and the company's readiness in the possible event of a crisis.
– A beacon that we assume right now is that we constantly find ourselves in a low intensity stand-by, and we have to be prepared to move on up, "says Hanna," and continues:
the Media must be more digitally focused. In an attack on the united states, there will be a desire to undermine the samhällsfunktionerna, and part of it is, of course, the media. It also needs a media policy manage and our needs is very much about a stronger digital protection.
(SR) pointing at the security as an important part when presenting his proposed budget for the license year 2020-2025. The cost of security is reported to have increased ”dramatically” in recent years: last year was the expenditure on the area of 33 million. It is three times more than eight years ago, said Thomas Rotermund, head of security on SR.
– There are costs for everything from perimeter security to the stakes when someone gets threatened. For example, we may need to move the families to a hotel when there are risks if they stay in the home. Often it is a reaction on what the journalists report or review of their work, " he says.
According to the see no signs that the cost of security will decrease – rather the opposite.
" It has increased steadily in all the years that I have been responsible, and given that the digital use increases, there is nothing that points to a different trend. We have at the same time, our role in the defence and the whole of society begins to take the height of crises of various kinds. There is a need to equip even there, " says Thomas Rotermund.
According to Rotermund is the so-called Ddos-attacks, targeted digital denial of service attacks, a common occurrence.
– we are exposed to on an almost daily basis, even if they are not serious. In the same way, we are also vulnerable to attempts at intrusion by malicious code.
He stresses that when you are forced to spend money on safety is always at the expense of something else.
"What we want to do is of course to have such a good variety and content as possible," says Thomas Rotermund.SR want to have 200 million bet on the new technology of ”Next generation”. Photo: Nicklas Thegerström
raise the allocation of funds by 100 million in order to, inter alia, cope with the local mission and beredskapskravet, want to SR also have a further 230 million in 2020 for the two engångssatsningar.
Firstly, 30 million to raise the digital redundancy, something that will strengthen the ability to get out public service announcements digitally in the event of a crisis. Firstly, of sek 200 million for the venture that is called the ”Next generation” – a technology to more easily be able to move the consignments out from the radiohusen.
”For example, a threat to any of the company's premises it would be easy to move out of the whole business and, in principle, sent from anywhere,” writes SR in budgetunderlaget.
the university of Göteborg, surprised not to public service companies points to the importance of security issues in future work. She believes that it is in line with the trend that the entire media landscape can see: threats and hatred against journalists is increasing.
As media researchers, I think that the threats against journalists are a serious and alarming trend. There is reason to be concerned about.
For all media companies it is an increasingly important cost item that one must work more actively with the. It is about the work environment, as well as a direct link to the threat against democracy, that is trying to silence journalists, scientists or politicians, " says Maria Norbäck.
She believes that the needs of the companies expressed, if it required increased resources to security, is well-founded.
" As media researchers, I think that the threats against journalists are a serious and alarming trend. There is reason to be concerned about, " says Maria Norbäck.
at the same time, she sees the possibilities for public service broadcasters to get a response on all of their requirements in budgetunderlagen, as always, is limited.
– Generally, of course, want all always do more. It is included in the game in any way, whether it's SVT, the BBC or NRK. Then there is the political thing to scale and negotiate. The way the game works, just as in other public activities.