Silvana Imams ”force of nature” from 2016 was described as her to date most personal album. Already in the first song, she had managed to cover topics as alienation, the father's previous homophobia, and how she ”paints the colours of the rainbow over Sweden”.
On one of the tracks she shared the space with her girlfriend who is also the artist Beatrice Eli. Another song was a pure declaration of love to her niece. In addition, the Silvana Imams parents in their tracks, with the texts read in their native language – Lithuanian, respectively, Arabic.
On her third full-length album, ”Holy mother,” the 32-year-old rapper tests on a new kind of vulnerability – by singing.
– the First time I did it, it felt really scary, " she says. But I felt that I really wanted to test. I'm a very melodic person, and I was missing it in my music. The melodies open up a new world for me. Now I have a larger platform to create on.”I have worked extremely hard to bring me here, and on the way I have learned to handle the situations that arise. If my music is resonating with you, then do it. If not, then so be it,” says Silvana Imam. Photo: Magnus Hallgren
a name for the broad masses in the context of an anti-racist demonstration in the stockholm suburb of Kärrtorp in the end of 2013. Together with his colleagues in the hip hop collective RMH she performed in the face of 16,000 protesters, wearing a black leather jacket, where ”SD” was crossed out on the back.
The clear position made her a target for the party's sympathizers. At the same time, she became a prominent figure of the anti-racists, feminists and lgbtq activists around the country.
Shortly thereafter, she released two ep, and got Musikförläggarnas of the year prize lyricist. It followed the P3 Gold public prize Guldmicken and a Grammy for artist of the year. But the success came with a price.
" I was completely exhausted. I felt: ”Wow, I really have become this symbol,” and I couldn't handle it. I felt a pressure to constantly perform. I didn't know how I would get out my message without it taxed me. And a lot of it was that I was a rookie, a newcomer, "she says, and continues:
" I do not feel so any longer. I have worked extremely hard to bring me here, and on the way I have learned to handle the situations that arise. If my music is resonating with you, then do it. If not, then so be it.
2017 discontinued the collective and the management company RMH their business. The constellation included, besides Silvana Imam, even acclaimed artists such as Adam Tensta, Erik Lundin and Cherrie. Shortly thereafter reconvened the group in a new suit: Trans94.
just Over a year later came the news that Silvana Imam, Erik Lundin and Cherrie put into their joint autumn tour at the same time that they broke all cooperation with the manager of the Trans94. ”No more comments will be given”, it was in the press release from the artists.
"I felt that I got more out of this person," she says. The whole of my history, all my struggle, has been based in the to achieve freedom. When the target of this person's power and not freedom, then it is a problem. Then it is just to separate himself from that person.Silvana Imam. Photo: Magnus Hallgren
" I will not go into that.
– There is no weirdness between us. I and one of the artists have talked about doing a project together in the future, but the information will at a later stage.
more detailed answer when she may return to talk about the new album ”Holy mother”. She tells us, among other things, that she wrote the last track ”I see the light” in 20 minutes.
" I have heard artists say that ”the song wrote itself” but I have never got to experience it for yourself. But now, I just wrote it, poof, it was completed. In the song display, I also have a page that I have not been comfortable with previously. It is a very sad song, but I have at the same time never felt so good as when I wrote it. There is something about the honesty in it.
The new album also contains gästverser from acclaimed artists such as Malmörapparen Ozzy and Umeåbördige Fricky. New Jersey-rapper 070 Shake, like last year, featured on Kanye West's album ”Ye”, contributes with a verse to ”Be patient”.
" We met when she played at Way out west in 2017. Afterwards, we ended up at the same place. She had heard about the documentary about me that appeared at the festival, and we hung out and had a great vibe. A year later she played in Gothenburg again and then talked we. I said, ”We'll fix Grammofonstudion, go there and make a song.”Silvana Imam gives out his third album on their own record label forces of nature. Photo: Magnus Hallgren
much of Silvana Imams, the focus has gone to to build up their own company forces of nature.
" My business plan is to eliminate all the middlemen and instead take in and work with people who can contribute in their own way. And it is so damn fun because there are so many good people around me, " she says, and continues:
– specifically, this will mean that I am giving out ”Holy mother” on my own label, but the company will also be at several other bones. I am building a house where my areas of interest to fill the various rooms.
– in Addition to the music, it is about training and lectures. In april, I agree, among other things, my first Ted talk, in Sweden. Then I have some other stuff I am also interested in, among other things, jewelry, and other ideas that I don't want to reveal yet.
" My purpose is to sensitize the people. Who are you as a human being? Do you identify yourself with your name, your emotions, your sexuality? Are you this stuff or are you something deeper? Yes, you are something deeper.
– Yes! People suffering, so much of what others are thinking about them. We must get out of it, freeing each other's minds, give good energies and love. I want to educate and be educated. And I will of course also continue to do it through my music.
Read more: Silvana Imam want to have fun insteadSilvana Imam embarks on a tour that will start on 1 march in Linköping, sweden. Photo: M, Magnus Hallgren