Because of the well-known host and Grand Prix commentator Ole Tøpholm the other day arrived to Tel Aviv in Israel, where he, true to form to comment on the big Eurovision, when it takes place next week, it was a somewhat unpleasant surprise.
Denmark was by a mistake not been assigned a kommentatorboks.
It says Ole Tøpholm to Ekstra Bladet.
We came down here last Sunday, and I know a lot from the crew, because I have covered the Grand Prix many times. So I wrote to a contact, before I came here, they could not send a picture of the box, because I am very curious. I get so to know that there is a Danish kommentatorboks. At first I thought it was a joke, but it was not, and then I went into a panic, he says with a laugh.
Event & Culture - 10. may. 2019 - at. 10:00 Legendary music extravaganza to Copenhagen
It turned out namely, that the DR had made a mistake and therefore had not been commissioned a kommentatorboks to Ole Tøpholm.
- We tried the so as to find out where the fault lay, and whether it was down here in Israel, it was mad. But it turned out it's so, that it was DR who had made a mistake. They had come to cross of in a box that said 'none' instead of 'one'. So I stood there, I had no box, and I had heard nothing, and the deadline to order the boxes were exceeded for the longest time, he says.
Ole Tøpholm is gradually becoming the epitome of Eurovision in denmark. Photo: Bjarne Bergius Hermansen
Therefore, all sail set out to find a solution, so Ole Tøpholm still be able to get a seat.
- There was then a lot of people who took care of it. But this hall, we should be in for Eurovision, after all, is not a hall, which is built with kommentatorbokse. They are built for the occasion. So it is not because it is littered with extra boxes, he says.
but It was not to last Eurovision-employees to find a kommentatorboks to Ole Tøpholm. It is, however, according to Ole Tøpholm far from the best of its kind.
- I have huge poor visibility, and I'm sitting very crooked on the scene. When I'm looking straight ahead, I see just the audience, and I must bend myself forward to be able to see the stage. It is the worst kommentatorplads I've ever had, and it annoyed me really much. It is such a pity, he says, and continues:
- I am the one sitting furthest away. I have not other commentators on one side. On the other hand, I have Belgium, which is fine enough. But last year I was great. There I sat, together with the nordic delegation in the midst of, and we have much to do with each other. So I had hoped that I would get an equally good seat this time, saith the Tøpholm.
Ole Tøpholm must, however, take care to thank of the box with poor visibility. There is no other boxes available.
- It should probably go, but I had it just like that: 'Oh'. For I have been looking forward so long for it here. It is a little, that you have been looking forward to a wonderful holiday in a luxury hotel with a sea view, and so you get limited sea view instead. So I'm disappointed, but it is our own fault. It is our blunder, and it's gonna be really fun anyway, says Ole Tøpholm with a laugh.
On his Facebook profile has Tøpholm shared a picture where you can see his view from kommentatorboksen. What you can see below:
Despite the poor start to the Season, looks Tøpholm however, until a blast of a celebration in Tel Aviv in Israel next week.
- It is running as it should down here. We have just had another try today. The bookies think not so much in Denmark, but I am sure that we are in the final. We have a song that people can sing along with, after they have heard it once, and I believe to be to Denmark's advantage, he says.
the semi-finals of this year's Eurovision will be sent on Tuesday and Thursday of next week at. 21. Thursday is the Danish leonora's turn to go on stage and try to secure a place in the coveted Eurovision final, which will take place on Saturday 18. may.
Ekstra Bladet has tried to get a comment from the DR, but it has at the time of writing not been possible.