Misstankerna on the scale of money laundering Swedbank has not only damaged the bank – but confidence in the nordic banking at a time.
Per Bolund (MP) wanted to meet with Francke and Karlsson, a meeting that occurred late on Monday afternoon.
"I started to clarify how important this issue is from the government, both in terms of efforts to combat money laundering, but also to build confidence in the financial system amongst the general public," says the minister to the DN after the meeting.
" I also asked them to tell what they are doing now and that they show that they are serious about this work and to rebuild trust, he added.
nearly two months ago, the bank's senior representative as soon as toned down the story – something that exacerbated the suspicion and mistrust.
But Per Bolund like to see a different attitude now.
" It feels as if they are taking the matter seriously. It is also what I expected after all the headlines and the strong reactions to the revelations, " he says.
– I believe that you still are humble, in a different way than I had heard before, " adds the minister.Swedbank's interim ceo, Anders Karlsson and the chairman of the board Ulrika Francke. Photo: Lisa Mattisson
after the meeting with Per Bolund.
" It was a good meeting, I think, said the chairman of the board Ulrika Francke, when she and the interim president and ceo Anders Karlsson together came out from the ministry of finance.
" We've told you where we are today, if our investigations and what we're working with.
– No, he just asked what it is we are doing today, and we have tried to tell.
" I think he was happy to get the information.
Anders Karlsson had nothing to add.
it is important right now that the bank is ”working forward”, that is to say, to strengthen its efforts to detect and thwart money laundering. And the minister thinks he has got vengeance on that point.
" Yes, I think – that this should be the highest priority from their side.
the Swedish bankers ' Association has called for legislative changes to make it easier for banks to share information with each other about people that they rejected when they suspected that it involved money laundering.
provide better feedback to the banks that have reported their suspicions to them. Per Bolund is positive to these proposals.
– It is important that banks receive feedback on the information they send to the authorities, and thereby render more effective its work and target resources where they do the most good.
– It is something that I take with me in the continuing work here, " he adds.
He stressed, however, that the foundation in its work against money laundering is that banks look for to know its customers.
– It work, banks need to do, it can be no authority for them, " says Bolund.
Prosecutors in Estonia is investigating the Swedbank
FI investigates if one is misled by the Swedbank
”Swedbank light years away from the suspended license in Estonia”