the social democratic party congress at the end of the week can be a stepping stone for an important renewal. Reformisternas statement, Göran Greiders and Åsa Linderborgs populist manifesto and Catalysis election assessment statement pointing out a possible way for this renewal: on the left-populism. These approaches are in many ways welcome. They force the social democrats to take the renewal seriously: a modern progressive party must be passionate about something – so that it is noticeable.
unsustainable economic policies, and a antipragmatiskt approach would create worse conditions for equality and freedom, and in the long term affect the most disadvantaged people in society. In the frenzy of ideological purity are sacrificed to pragmatism, sustainability, responsibility, and feasibility. There are – as Göran Greider himself has pointed out – already another party that has such an approach. It is difficult to see what the social democrats would win to become the Left party.
at the same time neither is the status quo, the anxiety or the knee-jerk nejsägande a way for a social democracy that wants to be more relevant. Januariavtalet may not lead to the renewal is inhibited.
It is difficult to see what the social democrats would win to become the Left party.
An alternative to the left and the populist line need to go longer and in several ways to challenge the party's previous approach.
1 An ambitious and serious tendency to need to build on the progressive pragmatism rather than radical populism. Here are some examples:
• Higher taxes – with reason. in Order to reduce disparities and to finance the welfare needs tax levy – not the least of capital taxation – increase. But tax increases should be implemented responsibly and take account of household economy.
both removing the ränteavdragen and reinstate the property tax – at the same time as amorteringskraven tightened and boräntan raised – would force thousands of families from house and home. At the same time, taxes were clearly progressive, and it is unfortunate that värnskatten to be removed. The tax reform should, in accordance with the januariavtalet, help to reduce the gaps. But above all it is needed a stronger argument about what the tax goes to, so that we do not hear more näringslivsdirektörer question ”what the hell they get for the tax”.
• Rise in pensions, which redistributes the better. Pensions need to be increased, but not by just tearing up the pension scheme. Increased contributions to the pension scheme during the career years would redistribute resources between the various stages of life. But a sustainable pension system requires also a strengthening of the redistribution between high - and low-income households.
• sharp rise in child benefit has a strong fördelningspolitisk accuracy, and at the same time contributes to increased growth, then families with children often spend the money directly.
• A more equal school by increasing the state responsibility for the governance, financing and allocation of resources, an end to all religious private schools, and a reformed skolvalssystem that reduces segregation. But also earlier and more clearly kunskapsfokus through the ten-year primary school and compulsory secondary school).
• More jobs . The largest security and jämlikhetsfaktorn is that the more a job – with nice conditions. One-sided focus on, for example, height a-cash is not enough. There is also a need for increased kompetensutvecklingsmöjligheter as well as an active employment policy for more and better jobs.
• An ambitious jämställdhetsagenda for relativlöneförändringar, more secure employment, individualized parental leave and a crackdown on hedersförtryck and sexual violence and harassment would all reduce gender inequalities.
2 Let sustainability be a central core value of social democracy. the Way in sustainability next to the equality and freedom in the socialist idégrunden.
• environmental sustainability . Klimatomställningen will ask the social democrats facing very difficult trade-offs and conflicts of interest. Eternal konsumtionsdriven growth, intense global trade and ever-increasing travel becomes – how teknikoptimistiska we are – and difficult to maintain. Social policy development need in a completely new way start from klimathållbarhet.
• Social sustainability . At the same time need the conversion to be implemented in a way that does not increase inequalities. Used correctly can digitisation, AI, automation, and robotics help to streamline business operations, increase productivity, reduce expenses, strengthen a sustainable transition and to create the conditions for, for example, reduced working hours.
the Ambitions of a sustainable working life for all will need to be increased. Powerful preventative health measures that reduce ill-health and care - and sjukskrivningskostnader can create sustainable conditions for health care. And the Swedish migration policy need to be deleted from a regulated immigration which is sustainable for both our community as for countries of origin and the individual migrant or the refugee.
• Economic sustainability . A clear commitment after the reduction of disparities through an ambitious reform and fördelningsagenda requires a sound fiscal and monetary policy, and a smart democrats ' jobs policy.
To undermine this would lead to a reduction in equality, as in Greece and other countries who have not had a solid foundation for their social ambitions. It is hardly desirable. There is also need for better answers on how the many reform proposals that cost money will be financed.
3 Clearer frihetsperspektiv in the social democratic development of ideas. All people have an inherent power, which in various ways is being held back. The policy's main task is therefore to respond to the desire for freedom that many of us have. All – not only those already privileged – need to get the prerequisites to unlock their inner power and realize their dreams in life.
The most important frihetskatalysator as a society can offer is the knowledge, education, training and skills. So creates an understanding of the society and an empathetic view of humankind, as well as increased jobs and development opportunities.
The social democratic party vision – the strong society – can therefore be both enabling and problematic.
On the one hand, we need a stronger society, political solutions to compensate for the social heritage, create opportunities for more and fight the various structures that create inequality and limit human freedom in today's increasingly for the market-driven society.
On the other hand, there is a risk that the strong community is perceived to be highly nurturing. It would be contrary to the idea of people's inherent power. Social democratic development of ideas therefore need to build on a large measure of self-empowerment.
social democracy is about to balance between too much and too little policy.
that emanates from these grundpremisser both engage and respond to the high demands on feasibility, realism, and responsibility.