Johan Wiklund has matured, his life's great projects as well.
– It is a bit like a Hollywood production. All know what to do. We have never been this quiet before an opening.
We meet Johan, who is the ceo, co-founder and co-owner, and creative director, Johanna Beckman at the betonggrå the courtyard, which this year has been a green and lush embellishment. There are two klubbveteraner and now parents of small children like messing around with it last prior to the opening on Friday evening.
" this year we have the theme of fruit and food. The bananas would be even more really, " says Johanna Beckman, and points up against a bunch of plastfrukter at the speakers on the farm.
the nightclub has become so well known that it has been fond in the tv-series and pop songs, among other things, in the Swedish tv-series ”Boys” and Veronica Maggios song ”the Garden on a Friday”, and the sometimes hour-long queues to the entrance has become a recurring joke among many of the younger locals. Good days, 7,000 people pass through the entrance.the Artisan Gabriel Agut working with the last preparations for the season premiere of the Garden. Photo: Adam Daver
the Success can be explained with a good ear for the zeitgeist. The garden has an ability to adapt their calendar for different trends, with everything from techno and housebokningar to the evenings with classical music, kulturhappenings, art exhibitions and hiphip-gigs. In the year to the club to have a performance in voguedans on mmxi.
in the Past, a club much more a plush sofa, a disc jockey, sound system and a bar. We have challenged the
– in the Past, a club much more a plush sofa, a disc jockey, sound system and a bar. We have challenged, " says Johan Wiklund.
launched actually on the island of Kungsholmen. 2003 Jakob Grandin organising club nights in a local below the Tekniska nämndhuset. Johan Wiklund hooked on the train, and in 2009 he found, Jakob Grandin and Jon Birgne the house during the Skanstullsbron on an ad on the Block.
" When we first had the club on the island of Kungsholmen where the live shows it's great. It was very indiehipsters dressed in black. Then we went over into a more electronic era, " says Johan Wiklund.On July 10, fill the Garden ten years. Photo: Adam Daver
When the Garden moved into the Skanstull 2009 was the Swedish electronic music scene on the way out of its infancy. Dj:s such as Axel Boman, Abdulla Rashim and Johanna Knutsson had not broken through internationally yet and technospelningar took place mainly on semi-unknown svartklubbar.
– The electronic music has become very much greater. When the Garden opened, there were hardly any svartklubbar or open air parties. Now they pop up all the time, " says Johanna Beckman.
was when 2012 started arranging dagsfester, so-called Daytime sessions, " she says. The parties have, to some extent, its basis in the grannklagomål. Since the Garden is not allowed to play music at high volume late at night, they began to put the biggest dj-bookings in the afternoons instead.
– Daytime session has really been an important era. There have been many other dagsfester after us, but we did it, " said Johanna Beckman.
last year, they installed a högtalartak above the dance floor outdoors. The vertical source of the sound and can now play loud music to at 03 on the night.
has the Garden begun to invest more in live music. Last summer, the performing artists as Fricky, Neneh Cherry and the Amazon on their scene. They also have had jazzspelningar with, for example, Goran was soon.
– The big livespelningarna was the next era. Last year, we had 36 pieces, which almost became too much. It was like they ate each other up, " says Johanna Beckman.Johan Wiklund and Johanna Beckman think entertainment will change in the future. Photo: Adam Daver
this year has the Garden booked, among other Mwuana, Little Dragon and Shitkid and like last year, organizing a tvådagarsfestival with classical music.
A hobby horse has been that the club should be inclusive and that no one should be denied entry on the basis of ethnicity or appearance. In the summer of 2017 got to the Garden, however hard critique of the violent and discriminatory guards. In a video in social media synthesis how a black man was worn out by the heavy-handed guards and at the same time was Silvana Imam kicked out from the club – which resulted in an angry Facebookstatus where she called for a boycott.
said the Garden up the agreement with the vaktbolaget and asked their visitors if excuse.
" It was probably our most difficult period. But I'm proud of how we handled the situation. We really took serious efforts and worked with our values, " says Johanna Beckman.
It was probably our most difficult period. But I'm proud of how we handled the situation. We really took serious efforts and worked with our core values
Johanna Beckman and Johan Wiklund believe that the younger will be relaxed in the future. They are open to the Garden can be a place where you not only partying.
– It can be about anything from training to e-sports and work. If we are open around the clock in the future, perhaps we will have breakfast, beer, yoga and accommodation.
that young people are not drinking as much today.
– Those who are growing up now and going to go to the Garden for the first time in the summer is probably very differently than we do, which is 30-40 years. They have grown up with the internet in a completely different way and their demands for entertainment other than our.this Year's theme is fruits and food. Photo: Adam Daver
the Actual tenth anniversary, the 10th of July, is celebrated with the club have the exact same dj-bookings mmxi 2009. New for this year is also a collaboration with the Stockholm women's history museum.
" They will have lectures, but the big thing is getting on the hundraårs-the anniversary of women's suffrage on may 24. Then we'll have a big party, " says Johanna.
a puzzle to figure out: smoking ban at outdoor cafes. The garden still do not know how to deal with the law, which shall enter into force on the first of July.
– We are facing the well it like all the others, although I do not know exactly how, " says Johan.
But until the first of July, it is only to smoke in, " adds Johanna.
" perhaps It's a bit job-wise, but a very strong memory of when we had the event Boundary and we had an idea to play the El perro del mar album with a full symphony orchestra. It was absolutely amazing, " says Johanna.
" It's probably some evening when you have to stand up in the house and looked out, and there is the sing-along to ”Halo” by Beyonce, and the people are completely at one with the place. Then you get goose bumps and wonder what the hell it is we have done. Another evening is when the Little Dragon played, " says Johan.
Read more: the Garden is threatened by abandonment (article from 2009)
● ● ●
– When the Garden opened in Skanstull, I was 18 years old and my friends and I had found a hole under the fence where we used to sneak into. One evening I had taken a lot of caffeine and a civilpolis took me because he thought I was high. But it was not I! The evening tricked I the system two times.Photo: Private
" One of my strongest memories is when we were a bunch of 20 people that began playing the tin can in the middle of a technospelning. We had fun but the hardcore fans who wanted to listen Dorisburg was not as fond. In the years I cried so loud when I got to my Garden-the card that the postman ran back to see what I had received.
– It is probably an early Studio Orphanage-gig when the Garden had recently opened in Skanstull. Axel Boman, Petter Nordqvist and I played quite hard techno and in the midst of everything, I got a whim and put on the Want-vous by Abba. Then threw someone a beer bottle at us which swished past right at my head. I could have died! But I have many fine memories as well.Photo: BrorBror
– the Opening day for the Garden each year is a rock-hard tradition among me and my friends. We have pre-party with pizza on my balcony and then we walk there and know every year that winter will never come back. Because it rarely is warm enough than in Stockholm in the beginning of may I usually have the skidunderställ under the dress. Strong tips.Photo: Robert Henriksson
" I have a memory from a Clutter-gig which I think was in the fall of 2013. It was an incredible audience and the atmosphere was burning. I got such a bag the last song that I smashed a windsor chair and then when I would go off the stage to high-fiva a little twisted I foot and had to walk on crutches for a month. The garden is the best. Always exciting mixture of art and musical expression.
Poll: Jimmy Persson and John Falkirk