the defence lawyer Hassan Mahmood is frustrated. For the second day in a row he had Friday to go in vain in the attempt to get into at the Vestre Prison, where several of his clients are sitting in custody.
In several cases, it has otherwise been imperative that I came to them. One of the cases must to the court in the next week. Another must procederes skyldspørgsmål on Wednesday, telling the lawyer.
He recounts how he managed yesterday to get into the actual prison. Further, he did not.
- A cops explained to me that I should not expect to get to talk with the client. There was already a part of lawyers waiting to get to talk with their clients. There are simply not enough cops to handle the prisoners, tells the lawyer.
the Extra Leaf has been previously described how the Vestre Prison is one of the prisons hit by staff shortages. Most of the prisoners are varetægtsarrestanter - that is, persons in detention, either awaiting trial, or if court proceedings are pending.
And it is important, therefore, that lawyers have access to their clients.
- I'm not the only lawyer who is experiencing these problems. Several of my colleagues have indicated that they have been denied access to clients because of staff shortages, says Hassan Mahmood.
Particularly in relation to varetægtsarrestanter it is necessary that a lawyer can come into a prison and discuss a case that is under treatment with a client.
in the end, it can go in addition to legal certainty, to assess the lawyer.
Repeatedly, the media described how there is a general lack of prison guards. And Hassan Mahmood finds it paradoxical that the one end has police officers who work to investigate cases, while in the other end does not have enough officers to handle the tasks in the Danish prisons and arrestehuse.
- The inmates are basically left to fend for themselves. A little trip outside the basket and a little community. That's pretty much it. There is not much rehabilitation, says the lawyer.
Management in Prison, " Vestre fængsel regrets as a starting point, that in between is the waiting time for the lawyers.
- But it is too unique to claim that it is only a matter of staff shortages, says Finn Frisdahl, head of section at Copenhagen Prisons.
- today it was all about, that we had been asked to support the transportafdelingen, who arranges for transportation of inmates, tells sektionschefen.
- It is correct that in between the are peak, where it's all about pressure on the visit department. It is not only lawyers who would like to check on the visit, he says.
- It is true that we have received complaints from the lawyers of the waiting time. But it may also be that lawyers often come during the night, when their trials down in court is over. Also in this connection, there may arise waiting time, says Finn Frisdahl.