Diarrhea. Weight loss. Acute cardiac arrest.
It is what several dog owners saw as they fed their dogs with products from the company Hill's Pet Nutrition.
It writes The Washington Post on Tuesday.
My 4 year old dog was eating this for a week before she died. She hate normal blood tests on Friday. She ate your food on Saturday. Wed her liver was failing, thurs kidneys failed, friday died of a heart attack. She hate just had upset stomach. It killed here. pic.twitter.com/ZDnKkSEQKH— Laura Eff (@lauraeffiscool) 2. February 2019
Laura Freeman's four-year-old dog, Mocha, was diagnosed with gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach-tarmkanalens mucous membranes, red) back in October 2018. The owner was searching with light and torch for a solution to his dog's problem, which is daily vomited and had difficulty eating.
After a consultation with the vet was Laura prescribed a special type of dog food canned from Hill's Pet Nutrition, which would help poor Mocha with digestion.
But it did not.
Mocha was very lethargic, threw up and had severe diarrhea.
9. november 2018 collapsed Laura's dog and died of acute cardiac arrest. The vet could not find the reason for the sudden death. But Laura learned later that it was hundemaden from the can, which was the cause.
- the Feed to help the dogs. It was very expensive, but I was willing to pay, so my dog could get better, says Laura Freeman to the media.
31. January, Hill's Pet Nutrition on their Facebook page, that the recalled several of their products, as some of them contained too much vitamin D, which can be very dangerous for animals
In an email to Ekstra Bladet writes Chelina Klehr, veterinarian at Hill's Pet Nutrition Denmark, that they are doing everything to help the dogs and cats to achieve a long and healthy life.
'As animal owners, we understand the concern associated with having a sick animal, and we treat each and every enquiry with the care and understanding that is expected of us. The voluntary recall of the wet food in Denmark is limited to one product, namely the z/d wet food for dogs'.
'We've identified and isolated the cause to this problem, which turns out to be limited to a vitamin præmix, crafted by one of our suppliers in the UNITED states. To prevent this from happening again, we ask now that supplier to perform additional quality testing on each batch delivered to the Hill’s', she writes among other things in the mail.
Now the company has introduced extra security checks.
Be aware of how your dog reacts to its feed. Photo: www.colouxbox.dk
Ekstra Bladet has spoken with Charlotte Bjørnvad, a professor of internal medicine for familiedyr, University of Copenhagen, why too much vitamin D can be harmful to dogs.
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so it is something that accumulates over time in the body. There are no fixed standards for how much vitamin D, which may be in the dog food.
- Dogs can't live without vitamin D. It is a vital vitamin for both dogs and cats. But they can not, like humans, produce vitamin in the skin. Dogs and cats must obtain it through food.
- the Reason that vitamin D is important, is that it controls our kalciumbalance. Calcium makes sure that we have strong bones and cell and nerve communication works.
- If you get too much vitamin D, so you get increased calcium in the blood. It can cause acute kidney failure and consequently death.
Vitamin D is also used as rat poison. Here causes the high doses of the vitamin just the death
- Dogs that get too much vitamin D, will throw up, drink more water and eat less. If you are experiencing these signs in your dog, consult a veterinarian immediately and would very much like to bring the names or the bag with the food, if there is a suspicion that it can get away
According to the professor have not had similar cases in Denmark.