The technological development is so strong that the elected decision-makers have difficulty to fully understand the scope of both opportunities and challenges.
It takes the Danish tech-ambassador to the Casper Cluster.
- It should not be left to the industry itself to define the terms for how the new technology will be rolled out. This must be done in cooperation with public authorities, he says.
Casper Cluster, there for well a year and a half ago took over as Denmark's first ambassador for technology and digitization, is present on the world's largest trade show for the consumer technology industry, CES, in Las Vegas, USA.
Here it is for him not about new gadgets and new products. It is about the regulation of new technology.
- We are not here to look at the rolling screen. We are here to talk with the other countries and talk with the big companies. We are working to create a coalition between the countries and the companies on the responsible approach to technology.
- It's about a bigger social responsibility in the private sector and also to help our decision makers to get a balanced approach to technology, says Casper Cluster.
He has had conversations with large companies such as Facebook about the leak of data, misuse of the platforms, the undermining of elections and the distribution of misinformation or terrormateriale.
- We are trying to say to companies that it is unacceptable that we expect you to take responsibility.
Overall, it is about values such as democracy, human rights, equality, that there is no bias - bias - in artificial intelligence.
- In Denmark and in Europe we expect that it takes place within some rules of the game, which we all agree. To take the conversations into corporate headquarters is centrally located in what we are doing.
Some companies have been 'incredibly' interested and has, according to the Casper Cluster demanded an interlocutor in the here areas. But not all.
- clearly, There is a small group of companies, which has been foot-dragging, and certainly not interested in having the conversations, he says.
There are companies who believe that it is not their responsibility if someone abuses their products. And then there are the companies that just want to be in peace and prefer a non-regulated area.
- Some of the scandals that have been in data security, has moved the thinking - not just in population, but also in some of the headquarters, he says.
However, not quite as far, as Casper Cluster like so.
- But on it a year and a half, I have been in the job, and we have been in time, things come in the movement, he says.
CES 2019: What you can also expect in the years
covers the biggest news from CES 2019.
and is one of the world's largest it fairs. Officially, the fair is open from 8. 11. January.
flat screens and cars fill the lot at the fair. 8K tv is already launched in 2018, but are expected to be shown in a number of new releases at CES 2019. Self-driving cars and green cars will also be many bids.
with Google Assistant, Siri or Amazon's Alexa is the big technologies at CES this year.
there will be a lot of talk about at CES, but do not expect that the 5G is going to mean much for you either this year or next year.
compared with, for example, wireless devices to audio, portable computers and, of course, completely new use of technology, which we have never seen before.
You can read more about CES 2019 here.