Almost Brand would have been even more devastating. "15 minutes longer, and the building would have been lost," said the French Secretary of state in the Ministry of the interior after the disaster, in the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris. Two security officers had reported to the fire in a timely manner, as soon as the fire had started in alarm.
these systems can save lives and damage to property prevent. However, in Switzerland no obligation to install them – neither for churches and for homes. The Association of Cantonal fire insurance companies (VKF) relies instead on personal responsibility. "A Mandatory element of fire detectors would bring a large bureaucracy and considerable costs for building owners and tenants, to increase without the protection of humans and animals significantly," says spokesman Rolf Meier.
The strategy seems to be working. According to the Association of installers of security systems, never before have so many fire detectors have been delivered as of 2018. Accordingly, it is often they beat the Alarm. Firefighters have more to do than ever, as the new national statistics show. Although the number of militia-firefighters has been falling for a long time, most recently at nearly 84'000. At the same time, you had to move out last year about 77'000 times, which means record.
How often churches were affected, is not recorded. An evaluation of the VKF for over ten years shows, however, that houses of worship are relatively often flames. The sacred buildings represented from 2008 to 2017, although only one half of one percent of all recorded damage to buildings. But together, this resulted in over ten million Swiss francs.
There are reasons why churches so often are affected.
only the data of the 18 members of the cantons are Included in the statistics. Geneva, for example, is not represented. There last summer raged for reasons as yet unknown, a fire in the Catholic Church Sacré-Cœur. Three floors collapsed. The parish currently anticipates up to 10 million Swiss francs for the whole of the restoration.
In at least four other Swiss churches, it came in 2018 in fire. There are reasons why churches so often are affected. Their doors are always open, even arsonists, which can do with little effort, extreme damage.
A man who felt understood by the state of miss, was a few years ago the Cathedral of Solothurn in fire, to make to his problems. The damage was between three and five million Swiss francs. "Originally, I had planned a vigorous fire," he admitted later.
fire protection standard provides for an exception for candles in front of
A cry for attention was probably the fire that blazed in 2016, the Evangelical Church Flawil SG. Two girls had kindled by set fire to a cushion. The two 14-Year-old confessed afterwards, to have been in a different Church gezeuselt. Unclear the motives of a Somalian. He was confused, gave the police after he set himself on fire last year in Pfäfers SG Church cloths and the Altar devastated.
But not always, the danger comes from outside. A Problem can also be candles, the burning buildings in a number of forms in the sacred, whether on the Christmas tree or baptism, on the Altar or in a quiet corner as the mourning lights. Unattended they are a danger. In the St. Gallen Cathedral burned down in 2016, the confessional, because a curtain had by a candle caught fire. Two tourists were able to extinguish the fire with the Holy water quickly.
Tax, the accident ended in the Church, Lignon, GE. Two children played in the vicinity of the organ with the prepared candles. In this case, the building caught fire. The boys 'polluter pays' were able to escape, but the flames destroyed the inter-denominational, used by the Church. 4.6 million Swiss francs cost of the reconstruction.
That in churches all the candles are allowed to burn, is due to a special rule. In the official fire protection standard does not, and on stage is: "In areas with large numbers of persons open fire is only permitted to a limited extent. As a decoration placed candles are excluded."
Some of the cantons now restrictions. According to the Bernese building insurance lighted candles on Christmas trees in churches, "not allowed". And in Zürich, only freshly cut trees are not allowed to be provided "" with candles, because these catch fire easily.
the Individual congregations to make in addition to electric candles without the real flame. What welcome to the fire insurance business. "We don't want to banish candles," says VKF-media speaker Rolf Meier. "It is desirable, however, that they are at least supervised. If no one is in the vicinity and uncontrolled burning, then there is always some risk."
This Text is from the current issue. Now all of the articles in the E-Paper of the Sunday newspaper, read: App for iOS App for Android – Web-App (Sunday newspaper)
Created: 20.04.2019, 23:22 PM